The religion of Islam is built on five pillars which every Muslim who is sane and pubert must perform:
1. The Testimony of Faith (al-Shahadatan): There is no one worthy of worship except God/Allah and Muhammad is His servant and Messenger.
2. Performing the five obligatory Salat: These are specific daily prayers performed at five different times of the day: Dawn (Fajr) – Noon (Dhuhr) – Afternoon (‘Asr) – Sunset (Maghrib) – Evening (‘Isha) . They are abligatory for every sane and pubert Muslim.
3. Giving Zakat: Once a year a person gives alms to different categories of people who need help and support in society. In general, it is around 2.5% of the wealth left with a person over one complete year cycle.
4. Fasting the month of Ramadan (Sawm): Abstaining from food and drink from dawn to sunset during the month of Ramadan (9th month in the Lunar Calendar). Those who cannot fast for any health/medical reasons or because of travel are exempted.
5. Performing Pilgrimage to Makkah (Hajj) once in a lifetime for those who can afford to do it financially and physically.